This Sparkling Blood Orange Mocktail is all you need this citrus season. Its super easy with very few ingredients like Blood oranges, sugar and some lime/lemon sparkling water and is super refreshing! A perfect non-alcoholic drink for any party!
I love mocktails! They are so festive and can be had anytime of the day because they are non-alcoholic. They sparkle and can be made in hundred different colors and most important of all, make my kids feel super grown up when we are having our adult drinks. It’s a win-win for everyone!
What are Blood oranges?
Believe or not, I always found the name “Blood orange” a little weird. Blood orange is a beautiful, cute and sweet citrus fruit that looks like an orange but has a deep red or maroon colored inside. The deep red color of Blood orange is because of Anthocyanin, the same component which makes the blueberries blue. The fruit is incredibly sweet with notes of raspberry and taste awesome in salads, cakes or drinks.
How healthy are blood oranges?
Blood oranges are full of anthocyanin which is a type of antioxidant that are known for their anti-cancer properties. They are rich in Vitamin C, lower your cholesterol levels and boost your immunity.
How to make the Blood Orange Mocktail?
Its super easy, like my kids would say “easy peasy lemon squeezy” or in this case “blood orange squeezy”! Please excuse my bad jokes, but honestly, the only hard part in this recipe is squeezing the blood oranges, but I love it. Its therapeutic and just relaxing to do it.
- First, decorate your glasses. Make them pretty by dipping the rims in sugar or salt. Sugar rimmed glasses make the drink so festive. Cut some slices of blood orange and put them in the glasses.
- Squeeze out juice from the blood oranges. The quantity of the squeezed juice depends on how big your blood oranges are. I juiced 4-5 blood oranges for about 1 cup of juice.
- Add sugar to the blood orange juice, mix it thoroughly. Using a strainer, strain the juice and discard the pulp.
- Add some ice to the glasses and fill them with 1/2 a cup of blood orange juice in each glass.
- Top if off with 1/2 cup of sparkling lemon or lime water and serve it immediately.
A few FAqs about the blood orange mocktail:
You can add in more flavor to this mocktail by adding some crushed berries or grapefruit or fresh herbs like mint or basil to the blood orange juice. One quick way to add more flavor is to use flavored sparkling water. I use lemon or lime sparkling water in this recipe but, use a strawberry or pomegranate or grapefruit flavored one for a unique flavor.
Yes! Use gin or vodka to make this delicious drink. Or better yet, use a sparkling wine or champagne to add some bubbles.
Absolutely! Blood oranges are seasonal fruit and not available everywhere. You can use Navel oranges for easier juicing. Cara cara navel oranges are sweet and go well with this recipe.
You can squeeze the juice and mix in sugar and lemon juice and keep it ready 1 day in advance. Add the sparkling water and ice just before serving.
You can use any bubbly drink in this recipe, just watch the sugar. I sometimes add plain soda or lemon soda and it works great!
The following ingredients make 2 mocktails:
- 1 cup Blood Orange juice (about 4-5 blood oranges)
- 2 tablespoons Sugar/ Agave Syrup (adjust as per the sweetness of your blood orange juice)
- 1 cup lemon/lime sparkling water (juice of half lemon and plain sparkling water)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 28gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
pin it for later:
Please enter your name and email address below to subscribe!
Note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.